The Vauxhall Society is the civic consultative group covering the parliamentary constituency of Vauxhall in London, which extends from the north of Waterloo to Brixton, Clapham, Stockwell and Vauxhall, as well as the neighbouring districts of Southwark and Wandsworth.
The Vauxhall Society, founded in 1969, is registered with the Charities Commission (281195) and with the London Forum of Amenity and Civic Societies. The Vauxhall Society is not politically affiliated, and membership is open to anyone who lives, works or is otherwise interested in the area.
Aims of The Vauxhall Society include:
- To offer planning, transport and other authorities an indispensable consultation route
- To alert fellow-citizens, and associations of citizens, who live or work in the area to developments that will affect their lives, and for which they will be expected to pay
- To offer citizens a chance to have their say, as well as to play a part in protecting or improving the way they and their neighbours live
- To stimulate public interest in and care for the character, history and future of the area, and to maintain and improve the quality of life for all who live or work here
- To encourage higher standards of architecture and civic design
- To monitor and comment upon planning proposals in order to protect the natural and built environment, and its living community.
All members receive the society’s online newsletter and are invited to public meetings addressed by guest speakers on topics of local interest. Members research local history, and contribute articles for publication in the newsletter and on The Society’s website.
A volunteer executive committee manages The Society’s activities, with Committee members being elected at the Annual General Meeting each summer.
Working groups cover matters such as: Planning, Local History, Publications and The Society’s programme of meetings, talks and visits. Planning authorities consult the society on local planning and transport issues, and we work with them to influence their decisions in the interests of your area.