Spread the Word (a Literature Development Agency based in Lambeth Walk) tell us that their project ‘My Old China’ will be celebrating the vibrant past and present of the Lambeth Walk area on Sunday 5 June.
The activities will take place at
Walnut Tree Walk
London SE11 6DN
11.30am Performance by Steve Tasane of segments of ‘60 Haiku Memories’, ‘The Ballad of Old Lambeth Walk’, and ‘My Old China – a celebration of Cockney Rhyming Slang’ at Story Stall Suitable for all ages (lasts 15 mins). www.stevetasane.com
12 noon Talk on local history from local Blue Badge Guide Tony Merrick (lasts 15 mins.
12.30pm Story Reading by Lambeth Walk writer in residence Steve Tasane from ‘My Old China – a celebration of Lambeth Walk through the ages’ featuring ‘The Amazing Case of Lambeth Walk’ (a Spread The Word thriller) for families (lasts 20 mins).
1.00pm Children’s storytelling from children’s writer Winston Lewis (of Spud and am fame) (lasts 30 mins) suitable for all ages.
1.30pm Guided walk of the local area given by expert Blue Badge Guide Tony Merrick (lasts approx. 1hr).
2.00pm Archive film of Lambeth Walk from the 1960s introduced by Peter Hewett (retired Lambeth Walk Shopkeeper) lasts approx. 20 mins.
2.30pm Writer Steve Tasane Writing Workshop – capturing new writing about experiences of the Lambeth Walk area Suitable for all ages (lasts 15 mins).
3pm Talk on local history from local Blue Badge Guide Tony Merrick (lasts 15 mins).
3.30pm Special Appearance from Pearly King of Peckham in the afternoon who will lead old and young alike in dancing ‘The Lambeth Walk’
and there are other activities…
• Abbey Capers Folk Band will play 1-4pm www.abbeycapers.org.uk
• Exhibition of local archive material, photos, film & Story Pots made by local people displayed on an original Lambeth Walk market trolley
• Pottery for all ages and mirror making for children from Creative Sparkworks in Lambeth www.creativesparkworks.org
• Face painting for children
• Arts & Crafts for children from Art for Little Fingers
• Lambeth Archive Stall displaying samples of what they hold in the Archive www.lambeth.gov.uk
• BBQ, Tea, Cake & Jellied Eels
• Traditional ‘Spread the Word’ Tombola
(The ‘My Old China’ fun day is organised by
Spread the Word
77 Lambeth Walk
London SE11 6DX
020 7735 3111